Monday, September 16, 2013
Time and a Season
My beloved dog and cuddly best friend Baxter is currently living with another family... I feel kind of bad because when we first got him I felt like he was my little lifesaver and brought more cheer into my life. He is the best pet I've ever had. I feel like when you get a pet you should commit to taking care of him//her forever. I wanted a dog my entire life. I begged my mom. Then I got a dog and three years later I need a break. Even considering giving Baxter a new home made me feel like a bad dog owner or irresponsible. I dont care if people think I'm mean or selfish but sometimes you have to do what is best for you and your family.I dont want a pet that my spouse and I dont both care about and want. I dont want a pet that drives me crazy.
When we first got married and got him I spent a lot of time, money and energy on my little dog. I loved taking him on walks when we lived in our apartment complex. It was good exercise, fun to meet neighbors and good to get out of the house. I thought it would be even better once we were in a house but with two children it's been hard to take the time to go on walks and our yard is not fenced in and I dont think Baxter liked our deck and was scared to go outside. It got to the point where he was having an accident at least 3-4 times a week and it was driving me (and Matt) crazy and ruining our carpet!
I leave for work at 7:30 and dont get home until 6 pm. Thats a long time to wait and be alone, too long for a dog. When I do get home I make dinner, hang out with my 2 kids and my husband, church callings, try to keep up on laundry and housework and honestly dont give my dog the love and attention he deserves. We are trying to save money and just groom him ourselves and buy him cheaper dog food. With that being said....we sucked at grooming him and giving him baths so he'd be so stinky that I wouldnt even want to cuddle with him or let him on my bed. He is the best cuddler and I felt bad for not wanting to because it was my own fault that he was so stinky. When Matt would give him baths he'd run outside and roll around in poop or something I swear. It is said that a dog is part of your family but it was so hard because my husband has wanted to find him a new home for almost a year and I have to fight and defend him and take care of him by myself for the most part. I dont have time or energy to give him the training and love I know he deserves.
He is in love with this dog named Peanut and they play so nicely together- now they get to play everyday. Baxter is living with the Brown's and they are the best dog owners ever. Baxter loves going on car rides with Shawn- they are buds. Thank you for taking care of my baby! I know he is happier with them right now. We might decide to take him back or dogsit him whenever needed but for now it's been kind of nice to not have to worry about him or clean up after him. I love you Baxty. Thanks for being my first dog. I'm now starting to understand why my mom never would let us get a dog. There is a time and a season for everything.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






Here's a suggestion....get your life in order before you add anymore pets or kids. Who are you racing or trying to out do? Slow down so you don't have to "get rid" of anything or anyone else in your life. Think about how you would feel if someone wanted to get rid of you? Could happen you know.
ReplyDeleteWell said unknown. Shame on you, who would even blog about this? Did you seriously not know the responsibilities of being a dog owner when you got the dog? I love the terminology you used in your post "get rid of" Seriously??? Get rid of a husband that would even say that. I have 2 dogs and they are by no means angels...full of energy, destroying so many pillows I lost count; but would I ever think of getting "rid of them" HELL NO! I hope someday your children don't become such a burden that you feel the need to "get rid of them". Maybe you already do by pawning them off on relatives, friends etc. to give you the much needed break you surly must need. Think twice before bringing a new pet into your mom, better yet think twice before posting such a ridiculous outrageous post. I also would recommend not having any more children. If you can't handle a dog another child will be just another burden.
Deletewoof woof...Love my dogs :)
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteCalm down Unknowns...its not like I"m throwing him in the dump. He is staying with my friends that have a dog that love him and take care of him better than i can right now. I have cried for hours deciding what the right thing to do would be and because I miss him. I never said I got "rid" of him I said my husband wanted to. Who are you to tell me when to have kids and dogs? People get new dogs or give their dogs to new families all the time. Have you ever looked on ksl.com? Those people arent horrible for trying to find a better home for their dog. I love my dog so much and I want whats best for him. Thanks for your opinion.
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteSharlene I respect you so much for giving this darling dog a new home. I wished we would have done that for Shadow long before we gave her to Nate Anderson. She had the best home life with Nate and his family but then tragically got cancer and died within a year. Today my heart still bleeds for her everyday and I feel so guilty all the time for not treating her like we should. I love you Shadow. <3 Sandy
ReplyDeleteUnknows - you need to settle down a bit. There is a lot of finger pointing and accusations by knowing what is the best thing for someone else.
ReplyDeleteWE are the people she let borrow her dog. Baxter is so happy here and he loves Sharleen and her family as well. It's nice that we live close enough that we can visit if we want. We trade dog sitting during the year whenever we each have things to do. I consider it less "GETTING RID OF" and more "SHARED CUSTODY". :)
He is a wonderful dog and he lacks for nothing. We don't OWN him - we are allowed to BORROW him. And, we are grateful.
This couldn't have worked out any better. At least he didn't have to go to the pound. At least he didn't have to go to a family that she didn't know. At least he didn't have to go away where she would never see him again. In truth, this is the best situation for everyone involved.
We feel blessed to have him and to know the Romero's.
One last thing - shame on you "UNKNOWN". Shame on both of you. One - you don't have the guts to share your actual names. And shame on you for feeling so high and mighty that you feel that you have the right to judge other people regardless of what their circumstances are. You don't know what's going on in someone else's life. THIS was a blog from someone willing to open herself up and share her most inner and intimate feelings and thoughts. Shame on you for ridiculing her on that.
There was a story told by Stephen R. Covey about him riding a subway and there was a man with his children running all over. Stephen was getting more and more frustrated thinking that this man should know better. He should take care of his kids. Did he not see the frustration he was causing to the other passengers? How could he be so selfish and not do what Stephen knew to be the right thing?
Finally, Mr. Covey approached the man but instead of ridicule, he asked if he could help. The man appeared to come out of a trance. He apologized and explained that he just didn't know what to do. His wife just died, they were coming back from the funeral, and he supposed that the kids just didn't know how to cope with the loss yet.
In short, maybe you simply don't know what's going on in someone else's life and you should hold your judgement a bit.
We love Baxter - Thank you, Sharleen. And, we love you, too.
--Shawn Brown
Dear Shawn Brown,
ReplyDeleteSave it for church.
Sincerely,
"UNKNOWN"
Unknown,
ReplyDeleteFirst I want to say thank you providing the adversity that is required to flush out a topic and truly call attention to it.
What I like about you is you are clearly loyal to your pets. As an animal lover I appreciate this quality; we share the same mindset about animals, because that is the singular reason I do not have any pets. No time and, therefore, cannot commit. I imagine other relationships in your life are also strong.
I imagine in your life you have come across maltreated or neglected animals and, like me, immediately blame the owner and other contributing factors from their environment. (I mean, obviously they were not as aggressive or broken when they were puppies.) As such, you look down on anyone who doesn’t share your decision making process, morals, and ensuing loyalty.
The question is, what was Sharlene’s alternative? Increasing neglect potentially leading to undue discipline? Growing resentment for the third, stinky, and hairy child?
Another question, what has Sharlene done, materially? She found what appears to be “the farm” from those stories parents tell children when their dogs are put down. (But this is the mini-poodle farm, where Baxter can play amongst his kind and his girlfriend, Peanut.) This relocation didn’t just appear out of the sky. After time spent researching possible alternatives for this unfortunate situation, Sharlene found a home for her dog.
Sharlene also shared this topic openly, honestly, and blindly with whatever audience she could reach. I wonder how many people will second guess adopting an animal after hearing from someone who just realized how hard it is to fit it in with the rest of adulthood. Maybe question having children or unsafe sex, too.
Though I see we share similar view about animals, I have to ask, what possible criticism do you have for Sharlene provided the alternative? More broadly, life is learning and learning is change. How do you handle problems in your life? By staying obedient? My apologies for getting personal, but you did just attack my friend’s blog. You belittle her blog, but I know her honesty is better principle to live by and her creativity results in better outcomes.
Shar,
I miss you girl! Love reading your blog because it totally has your voice. Your kids are so darling! Juliette seems to have your wild spirit and I love it :) Have as many babies as you want.
Love you! Catch up soon!
Caitlyn