I love the mountains. I love skiing and hiking. They are some of my favorite things and I want to take advantage of them while I live in Utah (I've lived here my whole life and not planning on moving...but I want to enjoy the world around me I guess.) I love Utah and think it is beautiful. I'm glad I can share this with my family and friends.
We started the quarantine March 14 (March 13 was the kids last day of in-person school) and everything was pretty much shut down by March 16.
1. We decided to make our first outing and go hiking on March 31. We went to the Draper Suspension Bridge. It was my first time hiking being pregnant with the carrier and our first hike of the season so I was a little winded and rusty. We brought our dog Lulu with us. I normally hike with a group of friends/family or at least one other person so going alone with 3 kids, a baby belly and dog I think was a bit optimistic but we made it. In my mind it was going to be a picture perfect moment on this empty bridge like I'd seen on facebook and instagram but I was totally uncomfortable when a couple asked me to take a picture of them and touch their phone and asked if they had hand sanitizer, which he did have some in his pocket and let me use. Then they offered to take a picture of us. Normally that would be totally fine but this coronavirus had me skeptical of everyone we passed and it was too crowded. I wanted to be positive for the kids and they totally passed me up and did great! A few steep parts and tears but for the most part it was good.
Bear Canyon Suspension Bridge Loop. distance 2.3 miles. elevation gain 440 feet. moderate.
Distance 1.0 mile. Easy.
My water loving hiking buddy
We were planning on going swimming at Splash Summit afterwards ....but apparently school down there already started and since their employees are basically all high school and college kids they are already closed... We went and played at a splash pad afterwards- Palisade Park- and the kids loved it.
Lincoln, Juliette and Madeline loved being with Declan and Brooklyn and I loved being with Alyssa.
It was even easy enough for Maddie to walk some of the way.
There were cool little forts, lots of shade and logs.
We saw a lizard, wild flowers and a river.
We weren't sure if the trail was a loop so we turned around and hiked back. I found out about this hike from https://utahsadventurefamily.com/jungle-trail-utah/. The Carolina Hills Trailhead is located in a neighborhood. The address we used to find the trailhead was 13625 Carolina Hill Ct. Draper, UT.
3. Mill B South. June 5. Winding up Big Cottonwood Canyon made Juliette a little car sick but we made it and I'm so glad we did this hike. It was actually paved almost the whole way and ended at a beautiful little waterfall. I'd do it again.
Distance 0.5 miles. Elevation gain 95 feet. Easy.
love them!
Best Friends...dont care about pictures
4. Lower Bells Canyon Reservoir. June 10. It was my first time on this hike and I loved it. I remember going on a Bells Canyon hike as a youth but dont remember any details other than I liked it. The kids did great even with all the rocks and our favorite part was of course playing in the water, seeing ducks and eating snacks. It is BEAUTIFUL!
Distance 2 miles. Elevation gain 495 feet. Moderate.
Two Preggos. We are due 8 weeks apart both with boys! Alyssa is due August 11 and I'm due October 11.
5. Battle Creek Falls in Pleasant Grove. July 1. Loved this waterfall and hike. Took Lulu with us again and she loved it and got soo dirty. It was a little crowded but we love being outdoors with the Gourley family! So beautiful. All trails scared me because it said it is 4.1 miles but it was only like 2 miles and perfect. Probably my favorite hike this summer!
2 miles. Easy/Moderate
6. Willow Heights Lake. July 8. This was a hike that isn't well posted/marked just on the side of the road way up Big Cottonwood Canyon and it was awesome. A few of Alyssa's neighbor friends came with us and it was so much fun. Juliette loved having someone else her age. The hike was a little challenging for me but I enjoyed it and it's beauty. Totally worth it. There were tons of ducks and chipmunks at the lake that were scavenging for our food. The wildflowers were gorgeous!
Distance 2.8 miles. Elevation Gain 698 ft. Moderate.
7. Grotto Falls in Payson was a very long drive for a very easy, short hike with a very small waterfall but it was still fun. July 15. I love seeing the kids explore outdoors and enjoy nature. Tiffany and her kids joined Alyssa and me and our kids. I felt bad cuz Lincoln wouldn't share his tablet with Eames on the drive down and then Evie got car sick on the drive home. But other than that it was good. A little crowded.
Distance 0.6 miles, Elevation gain 183 ft. Easy.
8. Miller Park Loop in Salt Lake. July 23. We went on this hike with Tiffany, Eames and Evie. Lincoln got along soo well with them that it made my momma heart happy. Juliette on the other hand did not want to be there and thought this was stupid because it was more of a nature walk than a hike. She was not being very nice to me and got on my nerves. Madeline loved it and even walked some of the way. It was beautiful with a river next to us the whole time and the kids even performed some songs for us on this little "stage." I ended up having a bit of a breakdown but that is life I guess. I'm still glad we went and enjoyed the outdoors. I cant believe how close this is to the city yet so natury. We saw a cool little snake.
Distance 0.9 mile. Elevation gain 72 feet. Easy.
9. Good old classic Donut Falls up Big Cottonwood Canyon. July 29. It was very crowded but very beautiful. I love hiking to waterfalls. I love being surrounded by trees and being in the mountains. The kids did great and loved it. I was a little sore/tired on the way down.
Distance 3.1 miles. Elevation Gain 538 feet. Easy.
These boys are best buds and so creative as they play and hike together. Pokemon.
Juliette and Lincoln made it all the way to the "donut" at the top
How freakin cute- I didnt even tell Maddie to do this :)
I can't believe how amazing Alyssa is. She had her baby boy 2 days later on July 31.
Beauty.
10. Deuel Creek Trail in Centerville. August 14. There are still a few more hikes I wanted to go on before the hiking season is over haha. I knew it would be hard if I had to go by myself so we invited Lincoln's friend Leif, his mom Erin and sister Anna Sofia and had such a great time. Juliette wasn't feeling well so she stayed home with Matt while he worked from home. The craziest part was parking...you have to drive up this really bumpy dirt road and I wasnt sure how far up to go or where to park but we made it. It was so nice and shady, lots of little bridges, right next to the river and fun. We probably only made it about a mile or so before we hung out for a bit, played in the river and headed back down. It was a perfect day to be in nature.
Distance 2.3 miles. Elevation Gain 646 feet. Moderate.
11. Bridal veil falls in Provo. August 21. Sabrina and I took our kids down to Provo and were thinking of doing Upper Falls...but didn’t find it so we went on a nature walk over to Bridal Veil Falls and it was perfect. So beautiful and great. We probably walked just over 2 miles. Easy.
12. Silver Lake Loop Trail at Brighton, up Big Cottonwood Canyon. September 16. Alyssa had her baby boy Bronson and we went on our first little hike with 3 kids each, plus my niece Ava joined us. It was beautiful and perfect.
0.9 miles. Easy.
13. Stewart Falls up Provo Canyon/Alpine loop. September 19. Sooo beautiful with the fall leaves. I went with my mom and sister for part of our girls party. All trails was wrong again haha it said 3.4 miles out and back and was a bit longer, but we made it and it was worth it. We almost got rained out but I’m glad we still went. It was nice doing a little harder hike sans kids. (Besides the one in my womb)
5.2 miles. Moderate.
Hikes I still want to check out:
Adams Canyon Lower Falls
Upper Falls in Provo
Dripping Rock Trail
Timpanogos Falls
Creek View Trail
Neff's Canyon Loop (dog friendly)
Hikes that could be good in Fall:
Cascade Springs
Ghost Falls
Past hikes I've done:
Hidden Falls
Lisa Falls
Rocky Mouth Falls
Cecret Lake
Gloria Falls
Hidden Valley Trail
Ensign Peak
Temple Quarry






















No comments:
Post a Comment