Anniversary tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, June 26, 2013

Is it still June 25?

Yesterday was a wonderful day. But by the end of the day I thought to myself is it still June 25? 
 
 
LINCOLN GREGORY ROMERO
was born June 25, 2013 at 3:02 am
Weight 6 lbs 9 oz and 20 1/2 inches long
 
 
Romero Family of 4
Sharlene, Matt
Lincoln, Juliette
For the birth story continue reading...It was very interesting to say the least. A little back story--- Friday was my last day of work before maternity leave and I had a dr apt. I was dialated to a 2 and 60% effaced. Since my due date was June 24 I was going to get induced on Thursday, June 27 if he wasn't born yet. I was excited to have a few days to get some rest and projects done but also really anxious and exicted to meet our little boy. On Monday I had a dr apt with my OB for my 40 wk apt and to strip my membranes. My mom was babysitting Juliette because she was taking a nap. I get sorta bored when I drive and distracted...very bad I know. So I was driving south on State Street almost to 4800 south (3 blocks from hospital) I was going about10 miles an hour and reading an email and glancing up at the road. All of the other cars were picking up speed so I assume the light turned green and didn't stop but kept on driving. All of the sudden my phone flew out of my hand and I felt a huge thud against my chest and stomach. I didn't know what happened. I was freaking out. It took me a minute to realize......I hit a bus. I had just rear ended a freaking UTA bus.
 
I just got in a crash and I was SOO worried about the baby! I was so mad at myself for being on my phone while driving. I just sat there and was like should I pull over or what do I do? I am in pain, a lot of pain and I hope my baby is ok. Then the bus driver came up to my window and I rolled it down.


Bus driver "are you ok"
me " no I don't think so"
pedestrian/witness: "are you ok?"
me: "I don't think so"
pedestrian: "get out of your car its smoking. I'll call 911"
me: walk over to side walk, sit down and start bawling!
The lady called the police and told them I was pregnant got in an accident and need an ambulance.
This other lady brought me a camping chair and said here you are pregnant get up off the sidewalk and sit down. So I got up and I was just thinking out loud "do you think my baby is Ok?"
lady: "how far along are you?"
me: "I'm due today. I was on my way to my 40 wk apt"
I called Matt and told him that I was in an accident, I hit a bus and am such an idiot. 
The EMTs came, asked me a bunch of questions and I rode in an ambulance to the hospital. I was in a lot of pain but wanted to make sure the baby was okay. They hooked some monitors up to my tummy and we heard the heart beat and I felt him moving around. It was a relief! My heart rate and everything was good too. After about an hour and some pain medication I got an x-ray of my chest. 
Dr: "luckily when you are pregnant your bones and everything are more flexible."
Hour later Dr: "I guess I was wrong...only your pelvic bones are more flexible. You broke your sternum."
I was in pain but mainly worried that I wouldn't be able to push the baby with a broken sternum. Matt asked if we could just stay at the hospital and have the baby to make sure everything is ok. They said they had to monitor the baby for 24 hours anyway and that my OB dr could decide once I'm released from the emergency room. What can you do for a broken sternum? NOthing! Great...it will be in pain for 2 weeks and heal in 6 weeks. Luckily it wasn't worse but still sucked. Also, I got a huge ticket for distracted driving and following too closely.
     
Around 7 PM I went into the Labor and Delivery room. I was still only dilated to a 2 and 60% effaced. They didn't want to start me until my cervix was more ready. I took an oral medicine to help thin my cervix around 8 pm and hoped for progress but not much happened... Around 11 pm I took another dose and fell asleep. Around 1 am I woke up and was having contractions every 5 or 10 minutes that were getting strong. I couldn't fall back asleep and got my epidural. I was dilated to a 4 and felt better after getting the epidural. The anesthesiologist was amazing and it barely hurt. I was also on pain medication for my chest/sternum. In one hour, so around 2 am, the nurse checked me and I was dilated to a 10 and ready to go! I woke up Matt and he called our moms and the nurse called my doctor.   
It was an amazing birth. I could feel my legs and push but not feel the contractions or too much pain. The doctor prepped me and broke my water. I pushed 4 times and my little guy came out at 3:02 am! It was literally less than 10 minutes of pushing and I was so grateful that he came!
He came out but did not make a peep. He wasn't crying and was having a hard time breathing. His heart beat and skin color were perfect but he was having a hard time breathing so the NICU team came in and I was really nervous. After about ten minutes they got him breathing on his own and he came to see his mommy!!
The doctor said that it took him a few minutes to breath because he was in a state of shock because his umbilical cord had a knot in it that got tightened as he came down the birth canal- how scary right?
Good thing he was born on the day he was and that he didn't wait any longer with that knot.
 
After they weighed him, measured him and made sure he was breathing okay they brought him over to me and I was SO happy that he is healthy and alive. I love him soo much.  

 Cute daddy with little Link
He is a good eater and I am able to nurse him. He blood sugar was a little low so he had 2 bottles of formula but now he's good and normal and just eating breast milk. I am so thankful that I can breast feed and love the bond and think it's amazing that he just knows how and how our bodies work.

Having a baby at 3 am makes for a long day. We got into the recovery room and got a little bit of sleep but between nurse visits, feedings, tests and everything we didn't get much. Matt, Karine, Lauren and my mom were there for the birth and went home about 5:30 am to get some rest. Later on Karine, Lauren and Courtney brought Juliette to meet her little brother.
 
First family picture 

Juliette is 20 1/2 months old and loves babies. She was very gentle and sweet with him. She gave him kisses and loved his tiny nose and features. She will be a good big sister and it'll be good for her to learn to share haha.
 

 We had a lot of other visitors and feel lots of love and support. I love our families!! Jessica and 3 her kids, my dad, Gramee, Chole, Melinda, Cameron, Lindsey, Taylor, Katie, Jordan, Dallin and David. We face timed and talked on the phone to Greg, Marcus and Sabrina.
 
Today's been good. Lincoln ate about every 2 1/2 hours. I loved breakfast. Poppi, Rebecca, Aysia, Melinda, her 3 kids, Juliette, my mom and dad, Caitlyn, Kyle and his 2 boys were here for visits today. I was able to shower and get some rest.
 
 
He loves to eat, sleep and be adorable! Newborn clothes are a little big so I put him in the premie outfit I got just in case and it fits snuggly. The Bella Baby people took his newborn pictures and I cant wait to share them!
 
Daddy with our kids. I love Matt!!

We are both healthy and recovering quickly. The nurses and staff have been wonderful. We go home in the morning and I'm excited and a little nervous. I love being a mother!
We love you Lincoln!
 

2 comments:

  1. You are so cute. Congratulations. I am glad you are safe and your baby is safe. No more driving and reading emails, right? I am sure that was very scary and how scary that the cord was in a knot. How great that everyone is safe now though. I of course love the name you picked (I have a Linkin). Also, my oldest two kids are 20 1/2 months apart too and it worked out great. It's a little crazy at first but they are great friends. Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an exciting story! Congratulations on your baby boy! Ditto to what Rachel said - you really are so cute!

    ReplyDelete